Rename a layer

Home Forums Worldographer Rename a layer

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to rename a layer? I have a map with city symbols saved on the Grid layer. I know can delete the Grid layer, then create a new layer and name it Grid and get the grid back. However, what I want to do is rename the original Grid layer something, like
    say “City Symbols” and then create a new layer named Grid and get the hex grid back without the city symbols.

Joe
    Keymaster

At the moment, unless I’ve forgotten something, you can’t rename layers. 🙁

You could create the new City Symbols layer, then select each symbol on the map and switch its layer using the layer drop-down on the features drawer. I little tedious if you have to change more than 5… although if you download the “Upcoming version” on the download page and use that, you can select many features at once on the map (hold down control to multi-select) then change the layer in the drop down once, and any change applies to all the selected features.

The upcoming version has a bunch of fixes and additions we’ve made over the past two months. The only reason it isn’t the official version at the moment is I have to get the mac native build working for that. (We updated the underlying technology.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, thanks Joe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joe

Haven’t heard anything from you lately on my “Layer Deletion” topic. This seems related. Do you think your new updates will fix this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joe I missed that layer deletion post. Where is it?

Joe
    Keymaster

So, you still can only do this via creating a new “City Symbols” layer (there is no layer renaming feature at the moment) and then move the symbols to the correct layer by selecting them and then changing their layer in the “Layer:” drop down on the Features drawer.

However, you can now (v 1.22) select many features at a time. (Just control-click each one after doing a regular click on the first.) Then any change in the controls of the Features drawer will apply to all the selected features. So if you change the Layer after selecting 5, all 5 features will have that new layer. Only things that you change via the Features’ drawers controls will change on those features.

So that should be a good bit easier than having to change each one individually.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

In Archive